Saturday, November 6, 2010

The High School Years

High school felt like a different world. It was a time to start thinking about what I would want to do for the rest of my life. What I have always had an interest in is acting. I wanted to participate in the high school drama club. I bombed the audition for the drama club play my freshman year, but with training, I was in the plays for my sophomore, junior, and senior years! I also wanted to try the musicals as well. I would always be assigned to the stage crew, which would be a pain in the neck at times. Finally in my senior year, I decided to be the line reader/understudy. I had so much fun doing that! I was able to memorize everyone's lines! I also participated in the annual variety shows every year, which I enjoyed doing very much! Being involved in theater and talent shows was my favorite part of high school!



High school was also a time when most, if not all, my friends started to date. That was a time of insecurity because still, no one would ask me out. That made me feel self-conscious and left out of the loop. When we would be at dances, I would sometimes sit by myself while my friends would be dancing with their dates. I started to think to myself, am I really that bad? But, there were more important things I had to worry about.

As my senior year approached, I had to think about what to do with my future. I really did want to pursue theater, but my mother insisted I pick a major that I could make a living from. I looked through different majors and decided to take classes in Business Office Technologies. That involves learning how to be an office secretary. I thought that sounded easy enough. Mom said I could continue with theater, but on the side. Looking back, that is a good move.

Join me next time when I get into...the stress of college!

1 comment:

  1. Dating was hard for me in high school too. :( I got dates, but they didn't work out the way I wanted it to. Some of the people were less than nice...or fit for me...but you're perfect and you deserve a sweetheart! <3

    ReplyDelete